Make sure your engine is off and cool to the touch.
You don't want your engine block to be excessively hot for several reasons. 1. Quick and extreme temperature changes to the engine block could harm the block itself. 2. Some aerosolized degreasers can actually be flammable. 3. Spraying cold water on a hot engine creates a lot of hot steam that could burn you, not to mention the fact that you could get burnt from touching the hot engine. 4. The hot engine could evaporate the degreaser too quickly causing it to not do its job properly. 5. You'll want to protect sensitive equipment (step 2) from too much water, to do so, many people use plastic bags which could melt if applied to a hot engine.
Protect sensitive components from excess water.
Look for openings in the air intake system, like if you have an exposed air filter. You'll also want to protect the alternator and ECU housing. Lastly, look for any cracked or exposed wiring. The easiest way to protect sensitive equipment is with a plastic grocery bag. Cover the equipment and use some common sense when rinsing - be sparing when applying water around those areas.
Apply the engine degreaser.
GUNK® Degreasers come in many formats built for different scenarios.
- GUNK® Original Formula (EB1) - This is our #1 sold formula. It's specially formulated to deliver a heavy duty clean for the hardest working engines.
- GUNK® Foamy Formula (FEB1) - This product is a quick-expanding, easy-to-rinse foam is specially designed to safely remove build up from engines with plastic covers. It also works well at removing road grime from wheel wells.
- GUNK® Heavy Duty Gel Formula (EBGEL) - This product is specifically designed to cling to surfaces – including older, hotter-running engines – for a deep penetrating clean.
- GUNK® Engine Degreaser 32oz. Trigger Spray (EBT32) - This product is a zero-VOC Water-based formula that sprays easily to remove oil, grease and road grime from under the hood and other surfaces.
- GUNK® Degreasing Wipes (EDW30) - These are our newest innovation for engine cleaning. These wipes are an industrial-strength, no-rinse solution uniquely formulated to take on any automotive surface. They're tough enough for engines but safe enough for your hands.
Spray on your choice of engine degreaser above and let it soak for 10-15 minutes. For extremely greasy buildup, you may need to agitate the degreaser with a brush before rinsing. If grease remains after rinsing, repeat until clean.
Rinse off the degreaser.
We recommend using a low pressure water source when rinsing for easier control around sensitive areas. If you chose to use the GUNK® Degreasing Wipes mentioned above, then you can bypass this step.
Apply GUNK® Engine Shine and Protector detailing product.
If you really want to make your engine bay look showroom quality, then apply GUNK® Engine Shine and Protector (CEB1). This product is designed to lock in the clean with a tough, protective layer that leaves a showroom quality shine and makes future cleanup easier. One can of this product can go along way. We recommend applying with a shop rag or wiping down for a satin like finish.
Show off your engine!
Make plans to attend your nearest local car show, pop the hood and show it off!